Thursday, November 8, 2012

I still heart radio...

Sometimes you forget who you are...

So I may be a little late to the party but I am totally loving I Heart Radio.  O.k. first of all,  lets agree it is the stupidest name ever.  Once you get over the complete weirdness of saying "I found it on I Heart Radio" you can get to the business end of some really rockin' radio stations.

For as long as I can remember, I was one of those chicks who grew up recording my favorite songs off the radio... waiting for the exact right moment when it started... diving across my bedroom floor and hitting record on my "boom box" and dancing around my room like the Solid Gold Dancers.  Yes, - I had legwarmers and.. yes, they matched my damn sweater. 

Fast forward to karaoke (minus the machine) with the radio on in the background and my girlfriends and I singing into an assortment of hairbrushes, perfume bottles and deodorant.  That really did happen.

One more leap in time and you are the girlfriend of the drummer.  You roll with ripped up stockings and the rest of the band.  You sit on the side of the stage... you drink and laugh and think it all may come to something - but it doesn't.

But my true love... the thing that makes me smile every. damned. time.  is college radio.  It's a little bit like the difference between the NFL and college football.  College radio still gives a shit.  They play all sorts of new music and the best of the old.  The DJ's make mistakes... they talk like I talk.  There's usually not much in the way of commercials.  I LOVE college radio. (and I've missed it for far too long)

Back in the day (20 years ago)  I had a professor who used to play the organ in a rock band in the 60's.  He was a train wreck of a professor but he used to let us smoke in our radio studio so we loved him.  We were all sitting around drinking coffee and bitching about having to grow up and get real jobs in radio and TV when he delivers one of  "truths" - "radio is a hot medium, TV is cold - I would rather be hot".   Bring on the tropical drinks Dr. Whaley.  I'm with you.  Radio wakes up your senses - music will move you.  

I do, indeed heart radio. I forgot that for a few years... but, I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment