Thursday, June 30, 2011

the 23 point salad

A couple of weight watchers meetings ago, the topic of the week was breakfast.  There was all sorts of chit-chat about how important it was to eat breakfast .  This, of course, opened up a discussion about different tricks for getting a filling a breakfast on a few points.

My leader (god, how I hate to call her that) was mortified when I announced that I skipped breakfast a couple of times of week because I couldn't afford to use up the points. 

"Everyone has room for just 4 points"
"Well, I suppose most people do... just not me everyday"
"Why don't you tell me what you eat for breakfast, when you do eat"
"ok... uh,  an egg white omelet or Special K with fat free milk"
"that sounds reasonable"
(NO SHIT LADY - THIS IS NOT MY FIRST TRIP TO THE RODEO)
"thanks"

What she didn't press me for, was why I would feel like I didn't have enough points during the day to warrant blowing 4 or more on breakfast.

Answer - The 23 point salad.

Here in the armpit of America there are lots of folks who subscribe to "Taste of Home" cookery.  Although this is an entirely different topic for another day - understand that includes adding butter or fried something to just about anything.

Enter - the Ohio salad.  Maybe it's because I didn't grow up here or maybe it's because I just wasn't paying attention 20 years ago where I did grow up, but since when did salads come with fries on top? 
Alot of fries.
and steak
and copious amounts of cheese
and croutons
and raspberry vinaigrette dressing (full strength)?

Now do not misread me.  This is not to say I do not love, love, love the "steak salad".  I do. 
I love it enough to eat every bit of the 23 points it cost me today. 
Bring on the fries dripping in vinaigrette baby. 
If I could have washed the whole damn thing down with a beer I would have. 
Instead I topped it off with... a god damned jelly donut (yep, that's back in the mix). 

So - at the close of business today I will have eaten all but 1 of my available points.

I wonder if my leader has any great ideas for a 1 point dinner.  Ok, - so seriously putting the sarcasm there in check - really, truly - anybody have a 1 point dinner idea?  

 I'm going to be hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment