Monday, September 17, 2012

Is behavior, belief?

Monday morning.

I catch up on my email, read through a bunch of FB posts, and think about starting work.

Except... there is no work to be done.  No phone calls to be made, no orders to enter, no quotes to take care of.  Nothing real. 

Lots of speculation though - reports that will get thrown in the trash, requests for funds that will get filed in a drawer and marketing forecasts that will have coffee spilled on them (and then get thrown in the trash).

A couple of months ago an acquaintance of mine stopped by the house to say hi.  He lives about an hour away so I really only kept in touch with him through FB.  I seriously, do not even have his phone number.  So as we are chatting it up, he tells me he had to get off FB and all of his social networking sites because he was starting to feel inconsequential.  He could not help comparing himself to others and he felt like he wasn't matching up.  He shut the whole thing down in an effort to get back to focusing on his family and his own life.

I suppose I get it. 

I can't help comparing myself to my perceptions about other people's lives.  Are they as bored as me?  Unchallenged?  Sad?   To take a page out of my friend's book - no.  They look busy and happy and healthy.  I don't believe it though..  not really. 

I think most of us are stuck in a rut.  Not knowing the right steps to get out.  Fear manipulating our choices.  Boredom blocking our way.  I never thought I would be apathetic... but here I am. 

All I want to do is be snarky and negative
All I really need to do is positive and move forward.

I heard on NPR today that the best way to manipulate your belief is change your behavior  (some teacher study on working with problem students). 

This is an ongoing theme that my head hears but my heart just can't seem to deliver...

No comments:

Post a Comment