Monday, January 30, 2012

Choosing to make it a good day

Somedays I feel like crap.  Today is not one one of those days.  Today, I choose to be happy.

After much ado with my broken scale I found one on the cheap and bought it on Saturday.  What this means of course is that I got on a scale for the first time since November and what I saw made me want to throw up.  Literally.

In two months I am up 16 lbs.  What ??!!  (obviously, this new scale must be broke)

Get off scale, get back on - up.  16lbs.

This, my friends, is a very large speed bump in my world.  Not a wall mind you, just a speed bump.  If I think back about how something like this happens it is certainly no surprise.  I can count on both hands the number of times over the past two months where I ate so much I nearly shit my pants (was that a song lyric?)

I remember drinking and eating and drinking some more.  I remember several times that I thought I would explode from all the food I had just ingested but "knowing" it would just fall back off if I drank alot of water and went running once a week.  FAIL. All of that is clearly not what happened.

What happened, is that my size 16 jeans (which I was convinced would one day be too big) are now so tight that I haven't worn them in a month.  My size 18 jeans cut into my stomach when I sit at work and make me annoyed that all my shirts look strange.  My size 20 jeans go on tight and then stretch out to the point where they are the only option for the weekends.    Yesterday in fact, I found myself piddling around the house in a size 22 stretchy jean.  Seriously.

But, for all the negative there, I still believe that this is just a winter build up.  I swear if I lived back in the days of dinosaurs and foraging for food I would clearly be the hottest chick at the fire ring.  My big ass can store fat like a squirrel putting away nuts for the winter and all the cavemen would want to get with the super mom who would be able to feed their hairy little offspring.  Alas, we are not cavemen and my big ass doesn't get me anything other a second glance from drunken sailor on shore leave.

So - with the best of intentions I head off into my next great adventure.  All weight loss projects in my world seem to start at the beginning of the month.  I look at them as grand experiments.  I have my favorites that I keep running through to various degrees of success.  I love it when a new one comes along that puts on twist on a oldie but a goodie. 

Enter my girlfriend Lisa.  So, she sees some show on TV (Dr. Oz - who has time to stay home during the day?) and buys the book of some guy who says "all you need to do....."  and we're in.
Apparently we are going to alternate low carb and high carb days.  We're going to drink water and exercise 30 minutes a day.  The exercise is going to be tough because of some scheduling issues with my sons this week but I think I can make it work most days.

Full report to follow in one week.  Dear god in heaven - let the scale NOT say 219 next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment