Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year, new me?

Every new year I tell myself I will refuse to make resolutions (they are always the same anyway). 

Eat healthy
Get some exercise
Stop smoking

And almost, as if the fates were trying to tell me something, I hear a report on NPR this morning talking about behaviors.. and why it is so difficult to make resolutions that stick without changing your behaviors.  One of the tricks to help you change your behavior (and keep your resolutions) was to change your environment.  Apparently there are triggers that our subconscious mind attaches to your environment that triggers certain behaviors.  For all the smokers in the room - read, coffee = cig or eat food, then smoke.  These triggers are so powerful that in essence, you are on autopilot. 

The trick then, is to force yourself off of autopilot.  Tough to do.  I've been thinking about this all day and I've decided that my NEW, new years resolution is going to try to live a deliberate life.  A life where I am NOT on autopilot.  A life I choose to live, not a life that chooses me. 

So, for the first of the year I resolve the following:

I will not live on autopilot.  I will live consciously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment